Financial fraud and scams targeting minority communities are prevalent, and certain scams are more likely to affect African American and Hispanic communities. A recent report released by the Federal Trade Commission, “Combatting Fraud in African-American and Latino Communities,” found that these victims are targeted by fraud focusing on income and debt, and that victims under-report scams to the FTC. This webinar will address the unique challenges and barriers in serving minority communities, and will provide advocates with resources to better address fraud in these areas.
- Patricia Poss - Chief, Bureau of Consumer Protection Mobile Technology Unit, Division of Financial Practices, FTC
- Monica Vaca - Assistant Director, Bureau of Consumer Protection, FTC
- Jennifer Leach - Consumer Education Specialist, Bureau of Consumer Protection, FTC
- Nathaniel Carroll - Staff Attorney, Arch City Defenders
- Mykael Ornbaun, LMSW, CFSW - Coordinator of Financial Stability Services, Kingdom House
- Ann Baddour - Director, Fair Financial Services Project, Texas Apleseed